Recommended for all Users:
- For computer, you need a laptop or desktop computer with (at least) 2G of memory and a 1Ghz processor (any computer bought in the last four years should be fine). BigBlueButton does not run on a mobile or tablet (though we are working on a mobile client).
- For bandwidth, you must have at least 0.5 Mbits/second upstream and 1 Mbits/second downstream (check bandwidth using speedtest.net). Here’s a sample report from speedtest.net.
- For browsers, we recommend Google Chrome (Flash is built-in) or Mozilla FireFox. You can also use Internet Explorer and Safari, but you’ll get better audio using Chrome and FireFox via WebRTC.
- For audio, we strongly recommend using a headset. A headset will ensure that others can hear your voice clearly and you don’t cause echo or background noise for others. You do not need to buy an expensive one -- any basic headset with a built-in microphone will suffice.
- If you have a firewall, the BigBlueButton client running with your browser needs to connect to an external server on ports TCP/IP ports 80, 443, 1935 and UDP ports 16384-32768.
A laptop with a built-in webcam and microphone will be sufficient as well if you’re in a quiet area.
Additional Recommendations for Moderators / Presenters:
A moderator or presenter has the same requirements as students, with the following additions if you intend to screen share:
- You must have the latest Java plug-in installed (Java SE 8). You can test with http://www.java.com/testjava/, and
- You must have a minimum recommended upstream bandwidth of 1 Mbits/sec
Desktop sharing uses more bandwidth than sharing a webcam, so a good upstream bandwidth is required (at least 1 Mbits/sec) .
Also, we recommend moderators or presenters connect through a wired network (not wireless) if possible. If connecting from a wireless network, you may experience periodic disconnects or gaps in your audio.