Minimum requirements may vary depending on the device and browser being used.
We recommend all users ensure they are meeting the minimum requirements for BigBlueButton HTML5 prior to their first live session.
If you would like to test your connection prior to joining please feel free to do so at: https://demo.bigbluebutton.org/gl
Mobile Device Users
The following settings are recommended for all users connecting to BigBlueButton from a mobile device:
- For data network, we recommended 4G LTI for best results or minimum 3G Network to use audio, view presentation content and receive screen sharing.
- For connection via wireless, we recommend private versus public networks.
- For device settings, we recommend reducing device usage while connecting to BigBlueButton; close applications that my run in the background and reduce browsing activities.
Additional Recommendations for Moderator/Presenters
Moderators and presenters can join BigBlueButton using a mobile device, however, use of more bandwidth intensive features, such as the screen sharing, may be limited.
We recommend Moderators and Presenters connect from a desktop or laptop device whenever possible to ensure all features and functions available in BigBlueButton are accessible to the user.
The following settings are recommended for all users connecting to BigBlueButton via desktop or laptop device:
- For computer, you need a laptop or desktop computer with (at least) 2G of memory and a 1Ghz processor (any computer bought in the last five years should be fine).
- For bandwidth, you must have at least 0.5 Mbits/second upstream and 1 Mbits/second downstream. To check bandwidth use, https://speedtest.net/.
- For browsers, we recommend Google Chrome (Flash is built-in) or Mozilla FireFox. You can also use Safari on Mac OS X, but you will not be able to use the screen sharing feature .
- For audio, we strongly recommend using a headset. A headset will ensure that others can hear your voice clearly and you don’t cause echo or background noise for others. You do not need to buy an expensive one -- any basic headset with a built-in microphone will work.
A laptop with a built-in webcam and microphone will be sufficient as well if you’re in a quiet area.
Additional recommendations for Moderator/Presenters:
A moderator or presenter has the same requirements as students, with the following additions if you intend to screen sharing. For screen sharing, we recommend using FireFox or Chrome for best results.
Screen sharing uses more bandwidth than sharing a webcam, so a good upstream bandwidth is required (at least 1 Mbits/sec) .
We recommend moderators or presenters connect through a wired network (not wireless) if possible. If connecting from a wireless network that is not reliable, you may experience periodic disconnects or gaps in your audio.