This document contains the latest status on the BigBlueButton HTML5 client (referred hereafter as simply "HTML5 client)".
Table of Contents:
- Recommended browsers (supported/no longer supported)
- Minimum requirements
- Features still in development
- Differences from the Flash client
- Known issues/bugs
The following list is actively updated, please be sure to check back regularly to ensure you are up to date. Last update: March 22th, 2019
If you encounter an issue that is NOT included or listed below, please let us know by submitting a ticket titled "HTML5 client issue" to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Description of the bug or steps to take to reproduce
- Screen shots; if able to capture
- Title, date and time of the session where issue was encountered
The HTML5 client is under very active development and we appreciate your feedback!
At this time IE and EDGE browsers are not supported browsers.
- Mobile: Chrome or Safari (latest versions)
- Desktop/Laptop: Chrome or Firefox (latest versions)
The following settings are recommended for all users connecting to BigBlueButton from a mobile device:
- For data network, we recommended 4G LTI for best results or minimum 3G Network to use audio, view presentation content and receive screen sharing.
- For connection via wireless, we recommend private versus public networks.
- For device settings, we recommend reducing device usage while connecting to BigBlueButton; close applications that my run in the background and reduce browsing activities.
The same recommended settings for Desktop/Laptop users connecting from the Flash client apply with the exception of JAVA
- Java is no longer required for the presenter to share their screen.
- For a list of recommended settings for Desktop/Laptop users see: https://blindsidenetworks.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025284251
Features still in development
- Live closed Captioning: Viewers can view a live closed captioning; however, we are still currently in development for the capability for a moderator/stenographer to enter the captions live.
- Show Slide Thumbnails: At this time the slide navigation does not show thumbnails when using the slide menu to navigate to specific slides.
Differences from the Flash client
- Layout Dropdown: The Flash client had a layout menu that let moderators push down layout changes in windows to all viewers. The HMTL5 client does not use windows (it uses panels that show/hide). We are going to add capabilities for the moderator to show/hide the presentation area in a future update.
Currently, when webcams are shared in a session, a user can minimize the presentation area and have the shared webcams take over the presentation area (which is good for creating a video chat-type session).
To close the presentation, select the "X" located in the upper right hand corner of the presentation.
Once closed the webcam streams will take up the full screen of the BigBlueButton interface.
To restore the presentation and minimize the webcams, select the Presentation Icon located in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
If no webcams are being shared in the meeting, the user cannot close the presentation window.
- Managing webcams: The Flash client allowed users to individually close webcams. This feature is not yet implemented in the HTML5 client.
There is no limit on the number of webcams that can be shared, but there is a practical limit in terms of bandwidth. At higher number of webcams you may see some webcams stop updating.
A user can disable all incoming webcam streams using the by selecting the Settings menu.
and then choose "Data savings" and turn off "Enable webcams".
Clicking the "Save" button will then turn off all webcams (which is good when on a mobile device with limited bandwidth).
- Shared Notes: shared notes are now located in the side panel to the left of the presentation area where the users list and chat messaging are located. To view and edit the shared notes, click on the "Shared Notes" link.
- Moderator Unmute: Due to privacy concerns moderators are no longer able to unmute users who are muted in the session; users must unmute themselves to use their mic in the session.
- Multiuser Whiteboard: Currently, multiuser whiteboard only applies to the current slide. When the presenter changes to another slide, they need to re-engage multi-user whiteboard.
- Fit-to-width: fit-to-width displays in a very small area in the centre of the viewer's screen instead of displaying the content as fit-to-width.
- Text Tool: When entering text in the whiteboard while multi-user is engaged, sometimes updates to the UI in the HTML5 client will cause focus to leave the whiteboard text tool, which stops the user from entering text. We are currently addressing this issue and should have it fixed soon.
- Breakout Rooms: in some cases the breakout rooms "randomly assign" users function does not evenly distribute users into rooms. We are currently addressing this issue, the best workaround is to drag and drop attendees into the respective rooms.
- Breakout Rooms user count: is currently not displaying correct user count. This issue is already fixed and will be in the next update.
- Links in slides not clickable: when uploading slides with clickable links, they could be clicked in the Flash client. Currently, they are not clickable in the HTML5 client.