We pleased to announce the following enhancements to BigBlueButton for increased security and moderation of a session.
1. The PIN number for each conference is now 9 digits
If your instance of BigBlueButton has dial-in numbers available, the dial-in + PIN number will appear in the chat.
The PIN numbers are now 9 digits in length.
When a user dials into your session, their phone number will appear in the User’s list in one of three formats (depending on their carrier):
- 613265XXXX (phone number with last 4 digits masked)
- Unknown (no caller ID)
- FREDERICK DIXON (caller ID in upper case)
Here is an example of a phone user with caller ID.
As a moderator, you can click on the phone user. A menu will appear letting you mute/unmute their microphone or remove them from the session.
2. Removal of a user persists for the duration of the current session
You can click on any name in the Users list (phone user or regular user), and choose Remove user.
Removal now persists for the duration of the session. Specifically,
- If you remove a phone user, they won’t be able to dial back into the session from the same phone.
- If you remove a regular user, they won’t be able to rejoin the session in a similar manner.
For example, if a student joined through the learning management system (LMS), they would be unable to rejoin the current session through the LMS. The same applies to a Personal Rooms link or Guest invite link.
Again, the removal is only for the current session. A removed user can still join other BigBlueButton sessions or the same session again if restarted at a later time.
Article is closed for comments.