Blindside Networks is rolling out a new release of BigBlueButton in June 2021.
Based on feedback from teachers and the community, this release of BigBlueButton has a number of usability and engagement features to make it easier for teachers to hold online classes.
- Background uploading of presentations (Video)
- Left/right placement of cameras relative to presentation
- Active talker more visible
- Notifications for raise hand (Video)
- Screen share can also share system audio (Windows)
- Notification when speaking and microphone is muted
- Ability to switch microphone input and audio output (Video)
- Connectivity status icon
- 16 Breakout Rooms
- Automatic joining of audio when entering breakout room
- One click poll with Smart Slides (Video of all enhanced polling features)
- Prompt users to type in a poll response
- Poll results appear in Chat
- Assign individual users whiteboard privileges
- Randomly select a user
Easily switch between presentations
The '+' button available to the current presenter now lets you switch between uploaded presentations.
Left/right placement of cameras relative to presentation
Active talker more visible
When there are many webcams shared, viewers (students) will see 5 webcams at a time at top of the presentation area. The set of webcams show is ordered by active talker, which means that users who are speaking will become visible within the first set of five webcams.
Notifications for raise hand
To make it very easy to see which students have raised their hands, there is now a persistent message that appears whenever a student raises their hand. Instructors can clear this message anytime by clicking "Lower Hands".
Notification when speaking and microphone is muted
When you are muted and talking, BigBlueButton will display a message that you are currently muted.
You can disable this message simply by clicking it. It will then not show up until you unmute and then mute yourself again.
Ability to switch microphone input and audio output
You can now choose which microphone (input device) and which speakers (output device) you want to use in BigBlueButton.
Connectivity status icon
To indicate to users when their network is experiencing lower bandwidth, there is a new Connectivity Status icon, located in the upper right-hand corner.
Clicking this icon shows a history of past notifications and lets the user reduce their bandwidth by turning off viewing of webcams and/or screen sharing.
16 Breakout Rooms
The presenter can now start double the number of breakout rooms compared with the previous version.
Randomly Select User
There is a new option for the presenter that will display a dialog randomly selecting a student from the class.
Here's an example of selecting the student Alex Whitehead.